Call for Great Hollow Artists 2022
A Juried Painting and Photography Show
In Person May 20 – May 22, 2022 at Great Hollow Nature Preserve
Online May 20 – June 30, 2022
Artist Reception 6:30 – 8:30 pm Friday May 20, 2022
Open Saturday May 21 and Sunday May 22, 10 – 4pm, 2022
Sponsored by the Great Hollow Photographers Club
Great Hollow Nature Preserve & Ecological Research Center, 225 State Route 37, New Fairfield, CT 06812
This is the fifth year for the Great Hollow Photographers Club Juried Painting and Photography Show. Over the past four years we have raised more than $5,000 for Great Hollow Nature Preserve and we hope you will join us for this fifth year of fundraising. The show will be both virtual and in person in the barn at Great Hollow. Artists are invited to submit up to four (4) digital images of 2-dimensional work for the competition (media includes photographs, paintings, collage, and drawings). There is no cost to submit. The hanging fee for the show is $15 for each accepted work and the Great Hollow Photographers Club will retain a 25% commission on all works sold during the show. All works must be for sale as the proceeds from the Art Show support Great Hollow Nature Preserve’s mission of environmental education, research, and conservation.
Jurors for the artwork are Sylvia Hierro for painting and Neil Zobler for photography. Prizes for first, second and third place for both painting and photography will be donations from local businesses. Accepted artwork will be posted on a website and the work will also be hung at Great Hollow. Additionally: winners and honorable mentions will be invited to participate in a follow-up physical and virtual show at the Sherman Library in Sherman, CT in late summer. The subject of all works must be of nature found within Great Hollow Nature Preserve and the surrounding area.
For each image, please submit a statement of 40 words or less explaining why the subject inspired you. The largest framed dimension of any work should not exceed 30 inches. All images must be securely wired from side to side for hanging: i.e., no saw-tooth hangers. We will take every caution with the artwork. The artist understands that Great Hollow Photographers Club does not provide insurance for loss or breakage and that the artist must provide this insurance if desired.
For the Juried Art Show:
1. Deadline for submissions is midnight on Friday, April 15, 2022.
- Images of up to 4 works should be emailed to: GHPhotoC@gmail.com
- Please email with the subject line “Art Show 2022” and be sure to include:
your name, mailing address, email address, phone number and a short statement about each work. These statements will be displayed alongside accepted works and should be of 40 words or less.
- Submit in jpeg format, maximum size 4”x 6”, 300 dpi, (maximum 1200 x 1800 pixels).
- Identify your images by using the file name protocol of:
"Artist Name-ˇTitle-ˇMedium-ˇSize-ˇPrice.jpg" on each image you are submitting.
2. You will be notified by email regarding acceptance by Monday, April 25, 2022
3. For accepted work, please send your hanging fee by Thursday, May 5, 2022. Please make checks payable to “Great Hollow Management, Inc.” and mail to Linda T Hubbard, 6 Briggs Hill Road, Sherman, Conn. 06784.
4. Accepted work must be hand delivered on Wednesday May 18th, 3 – 7pm or Thursday May 19th, 3 – 5 pm to Great Hollow. The show will be hung May 19th at 5pm.
5. Join us and invite others to come to the Opening Reception in the barn at Great Hollow on Friday, May 20th 6:30 - 8:30 pm
6. Encourage your friends and family to come to the show 10am - 4pm on Saturday, May 21 & Sunday, May 22
7. Unsold work must be picked up on Sunday, May 22nd between 4 & 6 PM.
If you would like to volunteer to help, find sponsors, hang the show, bring refreshments for the opening or gallery sit, please let us know.
Direct any questions to: GHPhotoC@gmail.com